TO BE CONSIDERED
FOR THIS POSITION,
PLEASE SEND YOUR
COVER LETTER AND
What we’re looking for:
Opinion Dynamics seeks a new team member to join our Data Management group to solve complex data management questions in support of energy policy evaluations. Our ideal candidate enjoys data munging and data mining, is a problem solver, and is excited to work with a multidisciplinary team of data scientists, statisticians, data analysts, and programmers.
As a Data Engineer, you will be supporting the life blood of our work, as data is at the core of everything we do at Opinion Dynamics. You will be part of a dedicated data management team whose role is to improve the accuracy, efficiency, and reproducibility of our analyses through data management best practices and standardization. You will use established processes and tools, under the supervision of a senior data engineer, to create data pipelines and workflows that maximize the value of data to our project teams. Prior experience with business intelligence tools will be important for communicating insights and findings about the quality and appropriateness of data through visualizations, reports and dashboards. Within the course of an average week, you can expect to be working on multiple projects and supporting different project teams whose job is to evaluate the impacts and performance of energy programs.
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree in quantitative discipline, computer science and data management or related field
- Two or more years’ experience importing, cleaning, and manipulating large datasets (1M+) and identifying, summarizing and effectively correcting data inconsistencies, as well as clearly documenting and communicating data exploration and cleaning decisions while assessing their effect on resulting data structures and possible analyses
- Strong coding skills in one or more scripting/programming languages (R, Python, Scala, etc.)
- Deep experience communicating compelling and user-friendly stories from data using Business Intelligence tools (e.g., Power BI, Tableau)
- Fluency in SQL and experience with non-relational/alternative databases
- Experience building and optimizing ‘big data’ ETL pipelines, architectures, and data structures
- Demonstrated track-record of thinking critically about your work and clearly communicating with other project staff and managers about your work
- Experience working in cloud-computing environment, preferably Azure
- Demonstrated interest in the energy field, energy policy, or building science
- Ability to juggle and prioritize multiple tasks and deadlines simultaneously and flexibly
Preferred Qualifications (Not Required)
- Experience accessing and analyzing Internet of Things (IoT) data
- Experience with PySpark programming
- Experience building custom API integrations, interfacing with JSON, XML, and custom data structures
- Strong statistical analysis and modeling skills preferably using R or Python
- Knowledge of web application development
- Experience working with diverse set of teams supporting data needs
About Opinion Dynamics
Opinion Dynamics advances knowledge to address emerging energy and social issues through sound and insightful research. Our inter-disciplinary team of consultants provides actionable research to support the needs of our clients, which include electric and gas utilities, regulators, and stakeholders. Our research and consulting services inform program planning and design, performance assessment, and optimization of energy efficiency, demand response, and renewable energy programs. Our company fosters innovative thought, collegiality and growth opportunities for our employees. The Data Management Group within Opinion Dynamics is especially focused on technical, quantitative aspects of our analysis services.
Opinion Dynamics is an affirmative action-equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, ancestry, citizenship status, pregnancy, childbirth, military status, registered domestic partner or civil union status, gender (including sex stereotyping and gender identity expression), medical condition (including but not limited to, cancer related, or HIV/AIDS related), genetic information, or sexual orientation.
How to Apply:
We want to know who you are and why you think you’re a good fit! To be considered for this position, please submit your cover letter (required) and resume with “Energy Data Engineer” in the subject line to CareersMA@opiniondynamics.com. If contacted, please be prepared to provide coding and writing samples that clearly demonstrate your experience and aptitude in the areas outlined above, as well as two or more references who can speak to your experience, work orientation, and work ethic.
No phone calls, please. Only those resumes accompanied by a cover letter will be considered. Opinion Dynamics will not provide sponsorship for work authorization for this position.
To be considered for this position, please send your cover letter and resume to: