Opinion Dynamics is seeking a Director, to lead a growing and talented team of engineers to support energy efficiency, electrification, decarbonization, and other clean energy research. The ideal candidate has a minimum 10 years of experience in the building energy field managing and evaluating energy efficiency and clean energy programs. The primary focuses for this position include 1) supervising engineering staff, 2) managing internal operations to support project work and professional and team development, 3) working across teams within the company to identify and plan for near and long-term staffing and skill requirements, 4) improving internal processes for cross-team coordination and work efficiency, and 5) contributing to proposals and business development initiatives to grow our portfolio of work.
The right person for this job has a mix of technical and interpersonal skills, and interest in team management and operations, and a passion in improving the effectiveness of energy efficiency programs throughout the U.S. Additionally, we are looking for an engineer who enjoys working with staff from different disciplines and wants to support the expansion of a strong and vibrant engineering team within the company.
As the Director of the engineering team, your work will involve:
- Supervising and mentoring engineering team members in managing and executing project work, developing engineering and consulting skills, making professional judgement decisions, identifying personal growth opportunities, and providing quality control of project deliverables.
- Leading resource and labor planning for the engineering team to balance project work and internal initiatives
- Collaborating with other internal project managers and teams to help plan for engineering resources—including staffing and capabilities–across the project portfolio at Opinion Dynamics
- Ensuring appropriate utilization of engineering resources on projects, prioritize efforts for team members and allocate engineering resources appropriately
- Working with team members to improve efficiency and consistency of internal technical and management processes
- Assisting with business development including proposal writing, client engagements, and attendance at industry conferences to represent Opinion Dynamics
- Serving as a technical resource for staff
What you’ll need:
- Minimum of 10 years of professional consulting experience related to energy efficiency and clean energy programs
- Minimum 5 years of professional management experience supervising staff, leading a team, and overseeing team operations
- Bachelor’s degree (B.S.) in Engineering or related field required. MBA a plus.
- Strong communication skills with experience managing staff and teams in remote locations
- Experience developing and contributing to proposals in response to clients’ needs and requests for proposals
- Understanding of the engineering principles underlying building energy use, including thermodynamics, heat transfer, and electricity
- Experience with energy analysis tools and methods (e.g., energy modeling, bin data analysis, monitoring & verification, and data logging) and protocols (IPMVP, UMP, and state-specific protocols)
- Detail oriented and strong attention to quality assurance
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, and technical research abilities
- Ability to manage multiple time-sensitive priorities without diminished effectiveness
Beyond these qualifications, we are looking for a leader with creativity, intellectual curiosity, and the desire to continue to learn about energy efficiency and the evaluation field. We are a growing company, offering competitive salaries and benefits.
About Opinion Dynamics
Opinion Dynamics advances knowledge to address emerging energy and social issues through sound and insightful research. Our inter-disciplinary team of consultants develops actionable and insightful research to support an array of clients, including electric and gas utilities, regulators, and stakeholders. Our research supports planning, assessment, and optimizing energy efficiency, demand response, and renewable energy programs. Our team uses a customized approach leveraging innovative methodologies to answer our client’s questions. Our company fosters innovative thought, collegiality, and growth opportunities for our employees.
Opinion Dynamics is an affirmative action-equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, ancestry, citizenship status, pregnancy, childbirth, parental status, military status, registered domestic partner or civil union status, gender (including sex stereotyping and gender identity expression), medical condition (including but not limited to, cancer-related, or HIV/AIDS-related), genetic information, or sexual orientation.
Apply for this position
We want to know who you are and why you think you are a good fit! To be considered for this position, please fill out the required fields in the form below and upload a copy of your cover letter and resume in one document (required) NOTE: resumes without cover letters will not be considered.