Opinion Dynamics seeks a new team member who is passionate about decarbonizing the energy industry to join our Data Analytics team. The Data Analytics team is a dynamic and tightly knit group of individuals from a range of backgrounds working closely together on analytically challenging and methodologically innovative consulting, advising, and research projects to support energy efficiency and grid-focused needs. We are looking for a Lead Applied Statistician to support sampling, modeling, and methodological aspects of project work.
Our ideal candidate enjoys problem solving and developing and applying creative statistical approaches to advance clean energy revolution, can effectively operate and navigate the dynamic environment of a consulting firm, and is excited to work with a multidisciplinary team of engineers, consultants, data scientists, and programmers.
Opinion Dynamics is a firm known for the excellence of our team and our commitment to a corporate culture that fosters innovative thought, growth and enrichment opportunities, passionate employees, collegiality and collaboration
- Oversee development of innovative research designs and statistical methodologies and apply statistical techniques to answer research questions in the clean energy space
- Apply statistical techniques to answer research questions in the clean energy space
- Oversee statistical model specification, selection, and interpretation
- Support code review and code quality assurance
- Develop and effectively communicate sampling designs and develop sampling plans of various levels of complexity
- Generate weighting and survey non-response schemes of various levels of complexity to minimize bias
- Oversee successful execution of predictive analyses and modeling with ability to dive into the code and data to ensure high level of execution rigor
- Provide guidance and coaching to junior staff
- Support development of internal as well as client facing reports and presentations that effectively communicate analysis results
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCIES
- Advanced degree in statistics or related field (Mathematics, Data Science, Biostatistics)
- 7+ years’ experience applying statistical methods
- Deep understanding of probability theory and statistics
- Strong knowledge in complex sampling theory and sampling in large-scale assessments and for complex survey projects
- Significant experience developing weights for complex sample designs and to correct for survey nonresponse.
- Experience producing population estimates using weighted data from complex samples
- Proficiency with python or R programming languages
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to adapt to changing priorities and successfully work within fast-paced consulting environment
- Strong written and oral communication skills, including the ability to communicate with clients as well as ability to work effectively with people at all levels in an organization
- Ability to explain complex technical concepts to non-technical audiences
- Commitment to accuracy and attention to detail
- Experience in the following areas:
- Exploratory data analysis
- Linear and logistic regression
- Probability theory
- Research design and design of experiments
- Multivariate data analysis
- Confidence, precision, and tolerance intervals
- Nonparametric methods
- Distribution fitting
- Hypothesis testing
- Monte Carlo simulations
- Statistical methods for small data sets
- Highly motivated, with a demonstrated track-record of thinking critically about your work and clearly communicating with other project staff and managers about priorities
- Ability to juggle and prioritize multiple tasks and deadlines simultaneously and flexibly
- Experience with version control software (e.g. Git) and collaborative code development
- Experience with machine learning methods and cloud-based computing to ensure scalable analysis
- Experience with data visualization tools and techniques (e.g. PowerBI, Tableau)
- Experience working on a collaborative, cross-functional team
Location – Preferred: Waltham, MA (Headquarters) Other locations across Continental United States will be considered.
How to Apply:
To be considered for this position, please submit your application below. If contacted, please be prepared to complete analytical tests as part of the interviewing process. We strongly recommend providing data analysis and writing samples that clearly demonstrate your experience and aptitude in the areas outlined above; as well as supply two or more references who can speak to your experience, work orientation, and work ethic within your resume document.
About Opinion Dynamics Corporation
Opinion Dynamics advances knowledge to address emerging energy and social issues through sound and insightful research. Our inter-disciplinary team of consultants provides actionable research to support the needs of our clients, which include electric and gas utilities, regulators, and stakeholders. Our research and consulting services inform program planning and design, performance assessment, and optimization of energy efficiency, demand response, and distributed energy resources programs. Our company fosters innovative thought, collegiality and growth opportunities for our employees. The Data Analytics Group within Opinion Dynamics is especially focused on taking a data-driven approach to answering complex technical questions.
Opinion Dynamics is an affirmative action-equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, ancestry, citizenship status, pregnancy, childbirth, military status, registered domestic partner or civil union status, gender (including sex stereotyping and gender identity expression), medical condition (including but not limited to, cancer related or HIV/AIDS related), genetic information, or sexual orientation in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. All employees must provide proof of vaccination or schedule vaccine appointment(s) within 30 days of hire.
Apply for this position
We want to know who you are and why you think you are a good fit! To be considered for this position, please fill out the required fields in the form below and upload a copy of your cover letter and resume in one document (required) NOTE: resumes without cover letters will not be considered.