Opinion Dynamics, a market leader committed to providing cutting-edge strategic research, evaluation, and consulting services, seeks a Principal Consultant to work with our energy research and consulting team. Our interdisciplinary team of consultants develops actionable and insightful research to support an array of clients helping to shape the clean energy future, including electric and gas utilities, regulators, and stakeholders. Our research supports the planning, evaluation, and optimization of energy efficiency, demand response, and distributed energy resource programs. Projects also include customer experience research, formative market research for new and existing programs, technology assessments, market characterization and potential studies, and advising on program design and implementation.
We’re looking for inquisitive and enthusiastic employees to join our team of energy industry aficionados – those who enjoy conducting research and analysis, but also care about the rationale behind the research and how results can be applied. Our ideal candidate is just as comfortable using the left-side of the brain as the right, enjoys a challenge, relishes learning new things, and is excited to work with an interdisciplinary team.
As a Principal Consultant, you are the cornerstone of a project team, connecting our clients with the internal expertise needed to answer their key questions. In this role, you will be primarily focused on managing the successful execution of technical projects and tasks involving advanced analytical and data science techniques, as well as large volumes of data. You will also be responsible for project and staff management. This includes leading the design and execution of analytic efforts, translating complex analyses into concepts understandable to clients, supervising consultants, and working closely with our clients to make sure we’re being responsive to their needs.
As a Principal Consultant, you will be responsible for the following on a day-to-day basis:
- Developing research and evaluation plans that adhere to industry best practices, as well as leverage recent innovations in the field of statistics, data science, data visualization, and data management
- Overseeing, and contributing to the execution of research plans for complex quantitative analyses, ensuring that objectives are achieved, results are accurate, and recommendations are actionable
- Conducting quality control of work products including data frames and analytic outputs
- Effectively managing project scopes, schedules, and budgets to meet client needs and contract specifications
- Designing research strategies and methods in collaboration with senior statistical experts and other functional teams (e.g., data management, market insights and engineering)
- Effectively communicating analytics and modeling results and turning data models into actionable insights
- Authoring memos, reports and presentations for clients and other external audiences
- Developing and presenting executive level results and recommendations
- Providing training and mentorship to less experienced consulting staff
- Writing proposals to win new projects
We’re looking for staff with a dynamic toolkit, who demonstrate strong analytical and communication skills; excellent time management and organizational skills; effective project management skills; an ability to think out of the box; and the capability to lead our project teams.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Three to five years of experience managing quantitative research projects
- Demonstrated experience managing team-based projects
- Demonstrated technical knowledge of quantitative research design, data structuring and manipulation, and analytic methods
- Strong writing skills and ability to effectively translate statistical modeling results into actionable insights
- Demonstrated experience training and mentoring junior staff
- Applied experience with tools such as R and Python, or business intelligence tools such as Tableau or Power BI
- Highly motivated with a strong work ethic and desire to advance within the organization
- Intellectual curiosity and drive to learn new skills and capabilities
Preferred Qualifications (Not Required)
- Master’s degree
- Degree in quantitative field, such as data analytics, economics, statistics, or data science
- Strong client management skills, including ability to understand client needs and translate them into analytic solutions
- Experience in and/or knowledge of the energy industry, preferably with energy efficiency, demand response, and/or distributed energy resources programs and initiatives
About Opinion Dynamics
Opinion Dynamics advances knowledge to address emerging energy and social issues through sound and insightful research. Our inter-disciplinary team of consultants develops actionable and insightful research to support an array of clients, including electric and gas utilities, regulators, and stakeholders. Our research supports planning, assessment, and optimizing energy efficiency, demand response, and renewable energy programs. Projects also include customer experience research, formative market research for new and existing programs, technology assessments, market characterization and potential studies, and advising on program design and implementation. Our team uses a customized approach leveraging innovative methodologies to answer our client’s questions. Our company fosters innovative thought, collegiality and growth opportunities for our employees.
Oakland, San Diego, Remote will be considered for strong candidates
Opinion Dynamics provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Opinion Dynamics is also committed to fostering a more diverse workforce. BIPOC, women, members of the LGBTQIA+ community, veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
All employees must provide proof of vaccination or schedule vaccine appointment(s) within 30 days of hire.
Apply for this position
We want to know who you are and why you think you are a good fit! To be considered for this position, please fill out the required fields in the form below and upload a copy of your cover letter and resume in one document (required) NOTE: resumes without cover letters will not be considered.