PRINCIPAL QUANTITATIVE ANALYST – DATA ANALYTICS TEAM
Opinion Dynamics, a market leader committed to providing cutting-edge strategic research, evaluation, and consulting services, seeks a Principal Quantitative Analyst to join our Data Analytics Team. We are looking for a smart, creative, experienced, technically savvy individual with a strong understanding of modeling to join our Data Analytics team. This role requires someone who is eager to think big picture yet able to roll up their sleeves when needed and dig into code, data, and analytics to support project needs. As a Principal Quantitative Analyst, you will be working in a matrixed consulting environment, contributing statistical, analytical, and data science expertise to multiple projects.
As a dedicated member of the Data Analytics team, you will work closely with a diverse team of data scientists, statisticians, economists, and data engineers driving methodological, analytical, and computational innovation to support emerging questions in the clean energy space. Our ideal candidate for this role is a problem solver with attention to detail who can thrive in the dynamic environment of a collaborative consulting firm and is excited to work with multidisciplinary peers. Your responsibilities will include:
- Conceptualizing research and evaluation design within the framework of a consulting engagement
- Researching new methodologies, software, and hardware to support business objectives
- Collaborating across teams on developing inter-disciplinary analytic solutions and approaches
- Overseeing evaluation and research study design to ensure adherence to industry best practices while leveraging recent analytic innovations
- Leading development and execution of exploratory, analytical, and modeling efforts to support project needs and within specified project timeline and available budget
- Guiding junior and mid-level Data Analytics staff in executing data exploration, modeling, and reporting of results
- Presenting findings to internal and external stakeholders with focus on actionable insights and meaningful implications
- Developing, executing, and QA/QCing analytic code for complex and novel analyses
- Actively and collaboratively participating in the development, refinement, and automation of models, tools, and processes to deliver efficiencies and streamlined processes to the team
- Understanding and applying internal and external client requirements and needs, to turn data and models into actionable insights
- Developing and mentoring mid-level Data Analytics staff, focusing on creative thinking, thoughtful application of methods and analytic solutions, and error-free execution of analyses
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Advanced degree in quantitative social science, statistics, economics, computer science or related field.
- 15+ or more years of work experience in advanced data analysis, ideally evaluating energy efficiency programs and/or performing other forms of longitudinal or causal data analysis.
- Applied experience working in a professional consulting environment
REQUIRED SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, AND ABILITIES
- Demonstrated experience with analytic research design methodologies, such as experimental and quasi-experimental design, evaluation design to discern impacts of multiple interventions
- Proficiency with a range of advanced analytics techniques specifically time series analyses (e.g., AMI smart-meter data), econometric analyses, panel data modeling, causal modeling, clustering, forecasting and predictive analyses, and machine learning techniques
- Demonstrated expertise and best practices for QA/QC for advanced analytics, including model validation techniques
- Coding and data management
- Strong modeling and programming skills in R and/or Python, including ability to independently develop code as well as mentor, review and set standards for code by junior and mid-level staff
- Demonstrated experience in data munging and management (e.g., ETL, cleaning, server configuration)
- Experience with enterprise software for large scale data management and analysis, such as GitLab, AWS, JIRA
- Leadership and mentorship
- Demonstrated experience successfully leading technically complex analyses and guiding junior and mid-level staff on effective analysis execution
- Track record of mentoring technical staff, including knowledge and skill building and development of critical thinking skills
- Exceptional consulting skills and business acumen
- Proven experience working to align research, design and approach to customer goals and project budgets
- Strong communication skills internally with project teams and externally among clients and stakeholders
- Ability to handle a range of projects in a fast-paced environment
- Understanding of the consulting business model and decision making related to business planning, operations, and strategy
ADDITIONAL PREFERRED SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Experience with python data science packages like Scikit-Learn, Pandas, NumPy, and/or SciPy, and other machine learning packages
- Experience with cloud-based infrastructure for large scale data management and analysis is a strong plus
- Familiarity with energy utility data, utility business model, and grid management and modernization
- The strongest applicants will have expertise in more than one of the following areas:
- Sample design, including power analysis, clustering, stratification and post-stratification, optimal stratum selection, multi-stage and multi-mode sampling, and complex weighting mechanisms
- Experimental design, including understanding and selecting appropriate experimental design for evaluations
- Machine learning methods and applications
ABOUT OPINION DYNAMICS
Opinion Dynamics advances knowledge to address emerging energy and social issues through sound and insightful research. Our inter-disciplinary team of consultants develops actionable and insightful research to support an array of clients, including electric and gas utilities, regulators, and stakeholders. Our research supports planning, assessment, and optimizing energy efficiency, demand response, and renewable energy programs. Projects also include customer experience research, formative market research for new and existing programs, technology assessments, market characterization and potential studies, and advising on program design and implementation. Our team uses a customized approach leveraging innovative methodologies to answer our client’s questions. Our company fosters innovative thought, collegiality and growth opportunities for our employees.
Oakland, San Diego, Remote will be considered for strong candidates
Opinion Dynamics provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Opinion Dynamics is also committed to fostering a more diverse workforce. BIPOC, women, members of the LGBTQIA+ community, veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
All employees must provide proof of vaccination or schedule vaccine appointment(s) within 30 days of hire.
Apply for this position
We want to know who you are and why you think you are a good fit! To be considered for this position, please fill out the required fields in the form below and upload a copy of your cover letter and resume in one document (required) NOTE: resumes without cover letters will not be considered.