Opinion Dynamics, a market leader committed to providing cutting-edge strategic research, evaluation, and consulting services, seeks an experienced Energy Engineer and Building Scientist to support our current work and build additional work with our energy research and consulting team. Our interdisciplinary team of consultants develops actionable and insightful research to support an array of clients—including electric and gas utilities, regulators, and stakeholders—working to shape a clean energy future. Our research supports the planning, evaluation, and optimization of energy efficiency, electrification, demand response, and decarbonization pilots and programs.
We’re looking for inquisitive and enthusiastic employees to join our collaborative team of energy industry aficionados – those who enjoy conducting research and analysis and also care about the rationale behind the research and how results can be applied. We are excited to add to our growing firm where we focus on participatory management, encouraging all our staff to have a voice in the decision-making process. Our team is committed to professional development by actively creating opportunities to learn and progress within our thriving firm. Our ideal candidate is just as comfortable using the left-side of the brain as the right, enjoys a challenge, relishes learning and sharing new ideas and insights, and is excited to work with an interdisciplinary team.
As a senior member of our Engineering team, you will help design, manage, and execute technical research and analysis to help our clients advance energy efficiency, electrification, and decarbonization strategies and programs in California and across the country. You will work in a variety of roles on multiple projects with colleagues from different disciplines, contribute to business development initiatives to help expand our growing portfolio of cutting-edge research, and support the expansion of a dynamic engineering team within the company. Your responsibilities will include:
- Designing and executing research studies and tasks to estimate and/or evaluate the energy and demand impacts of energy efficiency and electrification technologies and programs
- Conducting project/measure-specific analysis of custom projects using appropriate M&V methods
- Designing and managing on-site M&V research, including the development of data collection protocols, management of data collection and analysis activities, and reporting research methods, findings, and recommendations
- Conducting building energy simulations to model equipment, end-use, and whole building energy consumption and assess the energy impacts of alternative building and system designs and demand side interventions
- Producing high quality, client-ready reports based on sound engineering methods and findings
- Performing technical reviews of research and reporting products to ensure technical accuracy and clarity and to identify valuable insights and opportunities for clients
- Providing technical expertise to clients and colleagues to support proposals, research tasks, and other client or company deliverables
- Working collaboratively with a team of engineers, project managers, statisticians, survey designers, programmers and other research and consulting staff on a variety of research tasks
- Supporting business development activities by developing technical methods for new project opportunities and demonstrating technical expertise and thought leadership through industry channels
We’re looking for staff with a dynamic toolkit, who demonstrate strong technical, consulting, and interpersonal skills and who are passionate about research and analysis to support a clean energy future.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Building Science, or related field
- Understanding of the engineering principles underlying building and equipment energy use and familiarity with the technologies and strategies to advance energy efficiency and electrification
- Minimum of 5 years of experience related to evaluating energy efficiency projects and programs, including experience with California’s energy efficiency programs and the California impact evaluation protocols
- Proficiency with methods for estimating and evaluating energy and demand savings including IPMVP and UMP protocols, building and equipment modeling, weather and load bin analysis, trend data analysis, and on-site M&V for a variety of equipment and systems
- Highly motivated with a strong work ethic and ability to manage multiple time-sensitive priorities
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong interest in problem-solving and strategies to help clients meet evolving efficiency, electrification, decarbonization, and grid management goals
Preferred Qualifications (Not Required)
- P.E., CEM, and related licenses and certifications
- Proficiency with building performance and energy simulation modeling software and analysis
- Proficiency with building energy codes, including ASHRAE, IECC, and California’s Title 24
- Experience with grid modernization, modeling, management, and related analyses to support integration of distributed energy resources and load flexibility
- Experience with building design, construction, and/or management including the design and implementation of demand-side management strategies
- Experience contributing to proposals and business development efforts
About Opinion Dynamics
Opinion Dynamics advances knowledge to address emerging energy and social issues through sound and insightful research. Our inter-disciplinary team of consultants develops actionable and insightful research to support an array of clients, including electric and gas utilities, regulators, and stakeholders. Our research supports planning, assessment, and optimizing energy efficiency, demand response, and renewable energy programs. Our team uses a customized approach leveraging innovative methodologies to answer our client’s questions. Our company fosters innovative thought, collegiality, and growth opportunities for our employees.
Opinion Dynamics is an affirmative action-equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, ancestry, citizenship status, pregnancy, childbirth, parental status, military status, registered domestic partner or civil union status, gender (including sex stereotyping and gender identity expression), medical condition (including but not limited to, cancer-related, or HIV/AIDS-related), genetic information, or sexual orientation.
Apply for this position
We want to know who you are and why you think you are a good fit! To be considered for this position, please fill out the required fields in the form below and upload a copy of your cover letter and resume in one document (required) NOTE: resumes without cover letters will not be considered.